10 Benefits Of Clay For Your Skin
For thousands of years clay has been used as part of beauty regimens around the world. If you haven’t incorporated clay into your skin cleansing routine, you’re missing out on its incredible benefits. Here are 10 of them:
- Unclogging poresRegardless of what type of skin you have, pores can become clogged. Clay has the ability to shrink pores and unclog them to prevent blemishes.
- Keeping sebum in checkThe sebaceous glands in our skin secrete an oily substance called sebum that keeps us lubricated. However, too much sebum causes acne, encourages bacteria production and can block hair follicles. Clay keeps the sebaceous glands from acting up.
- Drawing out toxinsWhen you use clay on your skin, you’re helping with the promotion of oxygen and circulation. Clay bonds to the toxins in your skin and sucks them out, while releasing minerals that the body needs to regenerate cells.
- Evening toneClay is perfect for getting rid of dead skin, discolouration and blemishes to create an even skin tone. This is especially effective if you’ve suffered from sun damage.
- Softening skinClay contains silica, a mineral that makes your skin soft. Once clay is applied to the face it starts working to strengthen your skin without damaging the tissue, thus creating a soft surface.
- Creating a glowYou can get your skin glowing with clay, despite its dull appearance. Since clay removes impurities, it’s able to make your skin appear fresh and glowing.
- Regenerating tissueClay can naturally rejuvenate your skin, reduce fine lines and wrinkles and rebuild damaged tissue. It can also help heal bites, fight infection and get rid of bacteria.
- ExfoliatingUnlike the exfoliating products you can buy in stores, clay doesn’t contain harsh ingredients like parabens, glycerin and plastic. (Yes, some mass produced exfoliators have plastic in them and you do not want that on your face.) Clay, on the other hand, exfoliates gently and effectively by removing dead skin cells without additives.
- Nourishment and cleansing for all skin typesOne of the great things about clay is that it is safe for all skin types. Oily, acne-prone, dry, normal—no matter what kind of skin you have or how old you are, clay will nourish and detoxify your skin.
- Reducing the appearance of scarsWhether you have scarring from acne or other sources, clay can effectively remove scar tissue. Clay can also help lessen the appearance of stretch marks and tackle the inflammation and redness associated with blemishes.
If you’re unsure as to which type of clay to use on your skin, ask your dermatologist. You can also purchase clay and clay products at some beauty shops and pharmacies.